fbpx
The site is in beta mode. Updates & improvements coming soon — thank you for your patience!

BBXX Forum

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums The BBXX Podcast: Let’s Get Intimate! Episode 18 & 19 – “Sex Sells? Or Insecurity Sells…” with Caroline Heldman Reply To: Episode 18 & 19 – “Sex Sells? Or Insecurity Sells…” with Caroline Heldman

• Amy

September 21, 2020 at 12:16 pm
    Up
    Down

The thing that I learned about myself while listening to these episodes was that at a young age I was exposed to sexual images and played with Barbie dolls that exposed me to the standards of beauty that women are told to live by. The thing that I learned.about culture is that at a young age girls are exposed to sexual images that tell them that they have to look a certain way to impress a guy and that sexual images tell women to buy a product to live by a certain standard of beauty. The thing that surprised me most was that sexual images have been around for years and that there is pressure on women to live up to those images. The way that I can enact what I learned in my own life is to tell my future children that those images are not something that they need to live up to and that being themselves is what will get them further in their lives. The way that we can shift the culture and conversation around this topic is to educate young people about how companies oversexualize images to sell a product and that those images do not define them. We can also let young people know that being themselves is okay and that no one can tell them otherwise.